So when diabetes starts to make life difficult for you – and you have to go about looking for all kinds of supplies – a reliable diabetes meter, a set of strong diabetic bags to hold all your supplies, an insulin cooler to keep your insulin shots in when not in the fridge – and that is not saying anything about your medicines or the other diabetic stuff. But all this tends to overwhelm you often. Add to that the complete ban on sugar… for people with a sweet tooth, this is really disappointing.
But the fact is that you needn’t disappoint your sweet tooth completely. Here are two quick and easy recipes that require no cooking at all! They are completely safe for diabetic – and they are also naturally sweet! So check these out!
Recipe #1: Cantaloupe sorbet
For this you will need:
• Ripe cantaloupe (finely chopped) – 1 large
• Unflavored gelatin – 2 tsp
• Vanilla fat free yogurt (sugar free) – 1 8-oz carton
• Calorie free sweetener – 1/3 cup
• Cold water – ¼ cup
• Lemon juice – 2 tbsp.
Now for making this sorbet:
1. Place the cantaloupe, lemon juice and sweetener in a blender and blitz till smooth. Pour into a medium bowl.
2. Now take a small saucepan. Pour the cold water into it.
3. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let it soak. Then warm it over the stove till the gelatin is just dissolved. This will ideally take you about 4 minutes – do not allow it to boil though.
4. Add the dissolved gelatin mix to the cantaloupe mix and stir to combine.
5. Finally fold in the yogurt. And pour into an 8 inch square freezer safe pan and leave in freezer to set.
6. Once frozen, transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat it till it goes light and fluffy. Put the mixture back into the freezer pan and place in the freezer to set again.
7. Once set scoop out the mixture and place 2-3 scoops each in 5 serving bowls. Top with cantaloupe wedges if you like and serve!
And there was one – now another even easier recipe. In fact, when you are craving instant sin free gratification – this is the one to go to!
Recipe #2: Maple cream with berries!
For this recipe you will need just 4 simple ingredients:
• Maple syrup – ¼ cup
• Sour cream (the fat free variety) – ¾ cup
• Fresh raspberries – 1 ½ cups
• Fresh blueberries – 1 cup
And making it is as easy as 1-2-3:
1. Take sour cream in a bowl and fold in the maple syrup into it.
2. Now mix the berries and divide into 4 bowls.
3. Top with equal quantities of the maple cream and serve!
Wasn’t that simple? So now – get mixing and enjoy!